Cambridge English Support Site

Recognition of Cambridge English Exams


Helpdesk Training Article



Cambridge English exams are accepted around the world by over 20,000 universities, employers and governments. Our exams can open doors to higher education and improve employment opportunities. Institutions and organisations accept Cambridge English exams for a variety of different purposes.

For university or college applications

Universities and colleges around the world use Cambridge English exams for admission purposes to courses at different levels of study (from foundation to postdoctoral) and for international exchange programmes. Some higher education institutions also give students credits or exemptions for holding a certificate, or will use our exams for graduation requirements.

For job applications

Many companies worldwide accept our certificates as evidence of language ability when recruiting new staff, and many employers will also use our certificates for training and for professional development.

For immigration or visa applications

Our exams are also accepted by government bodies and ministries around the world – for example our Cambridge English: Advanced exam is accepted by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for visa applications.

You can find a list of recognising organisations on our online Global Recognition Database which is updated on a regular basis.

If you are planning to use your Cambridge English certificate to apply to an institution or organisation we recommend that you check directly with them for information on their specific requirements as the entry and proficiency requirements of individual institutions, organisations and departments may vary by course and level of study.

If you experience any issues with an organisation or institution regarding their acceptance of your Cambridge English exam, we might be able to contact the institution on your behalf to help. You can contact us with the details to check if we can help you. The final decision on which certificates to accept lies with the individual institution or organisation.

Have more questions? Submit a request