We are often asked if there are any restrictions as to who can take our exams. Cambridge English exams can be taken by people of any age, gender, race, nationality or religion, but we have provided answers to some of the most common questions below.
English is my first language - can I take an exam?
Yes. Although our exams are aimed at non-native speakers of English, you can take our exams if English is your first language and you wish to do so.
Is there an age restriction for any Cambridge English exams?
No. Cambridge Assessment welcomes candidates of any ability and age to take our exams.
Some exams are specifically designed with candidates of a certain age in mind, however, candidates of any age are welcome to take any exam.
Exams with a suggested age range are:
- Pre A1 Starters, A1 Movers and A2 Flyers - for students in primary or lower secondary school
- A2 Key for Schools - for students in late primary or secondary school
- B1 Preliminary for Schools - for students in secondary school (occasionally taken by students at the end of Primary school)
- B2 First for Schools - for students in secondary school
- International English Testing System (IELTS) - recommended for candidates aged 16+
For more information about our exams for schools, please see our support site article: Cambridge English Exams for Schools - Frequently Asked Questions.
Can I take the exam more than once?
Yes. You can take an exam as many times as you like. Candidates can enter for different exams in the same month, for example, First and Advanced or Business Preliminary and Business Vantage, as long as satisfactory arrangements can be made at the Centre.
Do I need to take a course before sitting an exam?
No. Cambridge Assessment English does not require candidates to take a course before entering for an exam, but many people find that taking a course helps them to prepare.
We do not offer courses directly and are not able to give advice regarding which course you should take. However, you can find useful tips and our preparation materials, language activities and English games on our website.
Please see our Exam Regulations for more details.