We are often asked if there are any restrictions as to who can take our exams. Cambridge English exams can be taken by people of any age, gender, race, nationality or religion, but we have provided answers to some of the most common questions below.
English is my first language - can I take an exam?
Yes. Although our exams are aimed at non-native speakers of English, you can take our exams if English is your first language and you wish to do so.
Is there an age restriction for any Cambridge English exams?
No. Cambridge English welcomes candidates of any ability and age to take our exams.
Some exams are specifically designed with candidates of a certain age in mind, however, candidates of any age are welcome to take any exam.
Exams with a suggested age range are:
- Pre A1 Starters, A1 Movers and A2 Flyers - for students in primary or lower secondary school
- A2 Key for Schools - for students in late primary or secondary school
- B1 Preliminary for Schools - for students in secondary school (occasionally taken by students at the end of Primary school)
- B2 First for Schools - for students in secondary school
- International English Testing System (IELTS) - recommended for candidates aged 16+
Do I need to take a course before sitting an exam?
No. Cambridge English does not require candidates to take a course before entering for an exam, but many people find that taking a course helps them to prepare.
We do not offer courses directly and are not able to give advice regarding which course you should take. However, you can find useful tips and our preparation materials, language activities and English games on our website.
How often can I take an exam?
There is no restriction on how many times a month a candidate can take an exam, subject to
the exam dates set by Cambridge English and the dates a centre chooses to hold the exam.
Candidates can enter for different exams in the same month, for example, B2 First and
C1 Advanced or B1 Business Preliminary and B2 Business Vantage, if arrangements
can be made at the centre.
Please also see our Exam Regulations.